Deschutes Public Library Facilities Capital Plan + Conceptual Design
Deschutes County, OR
Group 4 worked with the Deschutes Public Library to develop a forward-looking and sustainable new master plan for library facilities. The master planning process engaged thousands of community residents, stakeholders, and DPL staff in developing the vision for a modernized and expanded library system to serve rapidly growing Deschutes County communities. The plan recommended building a new landmark Central Library, expanding the Redmond Library, and renovating four other DPL branches.
Following the master plan, Group 4 collaborated with Hennebery Eddy Architects to build the foundation for a successful voter measure for nearly $200 million in new capital funding in November 2020. Group 4 developed building programs, design visions, refined capital budgets, and communication materials for each of the master plan-recommended projects.
- The 100,000-square-foot new Central Library will be a community hub for all, with new destination services and spaces. Kids will flock to the hands-on Children’s Discovery Center inspired by science museum exhibits, while older patrons will relish the large performance and art spaces, flexible meeting and study rooms, the modern technology hub, and more. Consolidated DPL administration and operations functions at the new Central Library will improve efficiency and service countywide.
- The significantly expanded 40,000-square-foot Redmond Library will be a vibrant community gathering place with a special emphasis on children’s exploration and discovery, creative/DIY programs, and high-interest events.
- The Downtown Bend Library will be reimagined as a vibrant place for people and programs. Dynamic art displays, expanded spaces for children and teens, a new large meeting room, and a maker lab are a few of the new features that will delight customers in the reinvented library.
- The La Pine, Sisters, and Sunriver libraries will be modernized for improved service, enhanced display, and expanded space for meetings and collaboration.
The conceptual design phase included extensive engagement throughout Deschutes County, including community meetings in every library.
- Client: Deschutes Public Library
- Scope: Facilities capital plan and conceptual design
- Status: Complete
- Cincinnati and Hamilton County Public Library Facility Master Plan
- Lexington Public Library Facilities Master Plan
- Multnomah County Library Framework for Future Library Spaces